Read more about how to apply for this program. Even if you have applied before, you must apply again during the open enrollment period October 17, 2019 - October 31, 2019.
An Important Message to Massachusetts Families
With Children Under Age 9
Diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder
Open Registration October 17, 2019 to October 31, 2019
The Autism Division of the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) runs a Autism Waiver Program that provides one-to-one interventions to help children with autism who exhibit severe behavior, social and communication problems through a service called Expanded Habilitation, Education (intensive in-home services and supports). This service occurs in the child’s home or other natural settings under the supervision of trained clinical staff and is available for a total of three years. The waiver also provides related support services such as community integration activities, individual goods and services, and respite. At the conclusion of the three years of intensive services, a child may access supplemental services that meet the child’s needs and help with the transition out of the intensive Autism Waiver Program until the child’s 9th birthday.
Eligibility: the following requirements are necessary for participation in this program:
- The child must have a confirmed diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder, subject to verification by the Department of Developmental Services.
- The child has not yet reached his/her 9th birthday. Children birth through age 8 may participate.
- The child is a resident of Massachusetts.
- The child meets the level of care required for services in an Intermediate Care Facility for persons with an Intellectual Disability (ICF/ID) as assessed by DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES.
- The family chooses to have the child receive services in the home and community.
- The child must be able to be safely served in the community.
- The child must have a legally responsible representative able to direct the services and supports of the Waiver.
- The child must be found by the MassHealth agency to be eligible for MassHealth Standard coverage, based on family income.
The 2019 Autism Waiver Open Interest Period will be held from October 17-31, 2019.
The English, Spanish, Portuguese and Vietnamese versions of the enrollment Family Notice and Application are available here.
These documents have been translated into multiple languages including Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, French, Gujarati, Haitian Creole, Khmer, Russian, Thai and Turkish.
All forms, including all of the languages above, will be posted on the DDS website shortly at DDS Autism Waiver Services.